Clifton, a town in Penobscot County, incorporated on August 8, 1848 under the brazen name of "Maine" from a portion of Jarvis Gore. The current name, from a cliff dominating the town (see the town "seal" on the welcome sign), was adopted only a year later on June 9, 1849.
Clifton is a somewhat isolated town. Fitts Pond in the southwest corner provides water access for Boy Scout Camp Roosevelt located in adjoining Eddington. There is a campground and beach at Parks Pond on Route 9.
Still a small community, the population has increased fourfold in the past forty years, though mobile homes provide the housing for many of its residents.
There's a hike on an old forest road and up a steep trail to the rocky summit of a mountain. The exposed granite face of Peaked Mountain, also known as Chick Hill, is visible for miles around. The views from the summit are some of the best in the area.
Sawmill Woods Gold Course is a par 36 nine-hole course. A family owned and operated gold course located on Rt. 9 in Clifton.